Times they are a-changin’. There’s a new platform update (seemingly) every week. Here’s a quick look at the latest and greatest from August, 2017!
- Facebook Watch: Facebook introduced Watch, a new platform to watch shows on on mobile, on desktop and laptop, and in their TV apps. Read more here.
- News Feed Refresh: Facebook updated their News Feed to improve readability and navigation. Read more on the updates here.
- Clicks and Impressions Reporting Updates: Facebook introduced two new metrics updates, including the removal of unintentional clicks on ads in the Audience Network and new ad impression reporting. Now, people who click on an Audience Network ad and spend less than 2 seconds on a destination page will be noted as an “accidental click” and will no longer be counted in advertiser’s campaigns. Additionally, Facebook is adding gross impressions to capture all impressions and Auto-refresh impressions for right-hand side placements. Read more on the update here.
- Memories and Milestones: To expand the popular “On This Day” feature, Facebook will begin to group past posts into monthly or seasonal sharing prompts to encourage users to increase their organic sharing on the platform. Read more on the update here.
- Although there are no major recent platform updates, brands are beginning to utilize previous updates in creative ways. The platform is focused on encouraging brands to explore vertical video through live videos and stories. Check out a few creative executions here.
- No major updates, but one major anniversary. Did you know hashtags were born 10 years ago on August 23rd, 2007? Check out the tweet that started it all.
how do you feel about using # (pound) for groups. As in #barcamp [msg]?
— ⌗ChrisMessina (@chrismessina) August 23, 2007
- Visual Discovery Features: Pinterest added a few updates to help users “find things when you don’t have the words to describe them,” including a new zoom feature and updates to their visual search tool. Now users can pinch to zoom in on a pin and utilize the visual search tool to find related products within a Pin. Read more on the Pinterest blog here.
Have you explored any of the new updates this month? Let me know what you think @anastaciadarby!